Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Ricotta White Pizza with Artichokes, Olives and Basil

Pizza is still my favorite comfort food, although a close second to chips and salsa. Since I could eat it every day and not tire of it, I limit myself to my homemade dough so that my addiction stays in check. Here I did a simple white pizza with lots of Mediterranean flair.

White pizzas are fun and can be made with just mozzarella and toppings or you can branch out and make it with a combination of other white cheeses like ricotta or cottage cheese or a mix of the two as I did here since it's what was in the refrigerator that needed to be used up.

Ricotta White Pizza with Artichokes, Olives and Basil
(serves 2-3) 

pizza dough (I used my favorite recipe from Peter Reinhart)
2 cups ricotta cheese mixed with cottage cheese
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and cut in half
10 kalamata olives
10-15 leaves fresh basil
coarse cornmeal (aka polenta)

Preheat oven as high as it will go for at least 20 minutes. The hotter your oven the faster the pizza cooks which ensures a crisp crust but perfectly melted cheese. Oil a baking sheet and sprinkle about 1 teaspoon cornmeal over it all. Stretch out your dough either by rolling it out or using your hands to gently stretch it into an oblong shape and place it on your baking sheet. If you let it rest for a few minutes you'll find you can continue to gently stretch it but be careful not to tear it. Tears are repairable but it's better not to have them. Allow your dough to rise for at least 30 minutes in a warm place. Distribute ricotta mix over all and top with the artichoke hearts, olives, and basil as desired. Cook until edges are browned and bottom is crisp. Cut and serve.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Mini Cheesy Popeye Puffs at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice
Prawn Tikka Masala at ECurry!
Vegetarian Reuben Sandwich at Valley Vegetarian

No comments: