Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Tomato Jam - DIY Pantry

Tomato jam came into my life about 10 years ago when a Minnesotan asked me if I made it. Made it? I'd never heard of it! It took several years more before I met someone who's cooking I trusted enough to give her recipe a go. Wow! too many years wasted without tomato jam!

Combine four ingredients - tomatoes, cider vinegar, rosemary and brown sugar - and presto! You have a savory sweet delicious condiment which you will find a multitude of ways to slather on anything within reach.

If you remember that tomatoes are actually fruits, this jam idea doesn't seem that far fetched. It may take a little prompting to get people (especially kids) to try it, but you'll be rewarded for your efforts!

We've eaten it on squash fritters, latkes, chickpea flour pancakes and swirled into frittatas and scrambled eggs. If you're a meat eater I would  imagine it would be great on steak, brined pork chops or even with hash browns. Really, the sky is the limit!

Tomato Jam
(makes 1 1/2 cups)

5 lbs tomatoes (assorted is fine, but make sure they are super ripe!)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons rosemary, minced

Wash, core and chop up the tomatoes and save juices. Put all into large pot and add remaining ingredients. Bring to low boil and turn down to simmer and allow to simmer away for 2-3 hours, until it cooks down into a thick jam consistency. You will need to stir it every 10 minutes to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot during the last hour of cooking. Jar and refrigerate or if you make multiple batches, can it per this post.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Masala Khichdi at Holy Cow!
Savory Cheddar Herb Scones at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice
Green Garlic and Pea Soup with Whipped Cream at Eats Well With Others

1 comment:

Katie Zeller said...

I like this.... I just made the fritters last night (I add a bit of mustard and some Parmesan to the mix) Tomato Jam would be perfect!